Welcome! My name is Sandra Vail, and I'm the founder of Kindred Readers®.
Kindred Readers grew out of my experience self-publishing a novel. I had a day job and a family — I thought writing the book would be the hard part!
The months after I published were a real eye-opener. I read hundreds of articles about marketing, spent hours poring over the Amazon top reviewers list, and drafted scores of emails and social media posts. I joined book-lovers clubs, participated in review exchanges and gave away more copies of my book than I cared to count.
In other words, I spent all the time I should have been writing chasing down a handful of reviews.
There had to be a better way.
So I started working on a plan. I wanted to create a network for writers and readers that gave everyone exactly what they needed, exactly how they needed it. No more wasted time, no more misspent energy.
Authors want an audience. They want to get their book in the hands of their ideal reader, and then hear that reader's honest opinion. Even if the news isn't good, writers know that candor is important.
Readers want a great read. But to find a great book, you need advice you can trust — not ad copy, and not a review written by the author's best friend.
These basic facts are the foundation for Kindred Readers, a review network unlike any in the world. We've taken the best of bibliophile communities, peer review systems and review exchanges and created our own unique process, one with no spin and no spam.
Our community offers much more than reviews, but the underlying principles of integrity and respect carry forward into everything we do.
At Kindred Readers, you won't find a multinational conglomerate — you'll find a dedicated community of kindred spirits. Won't you join us?
Kindred Readers® is a review network designed to be like no other, dedicated to meeting the needs of both readers and writers.
Our decisions and actions are based on our core values:
- Integrity - Our highest priority is trust. Visitors must be able to trust that the reviews they find on our site are honest, and members must be able to trust that our goal is to meet their needs. Every decision we make is measured by simple standards: Is it the right thing to do? Do all benefit? Is it fair?
- Independence - This is a network for and by humans — there are no mega-corporations involved. We welcome readers of all genres and support writers at all stages of development, whether they self-publish, are traditionally published or have not yet published a book.
- Transparency - We have no hidden agendas. If we showcase a book in a newsletter, we made the choice based on reviews, not fees. You can't pay us to promote your book or service — that option simply does not exist. We'll tell you the truth, always.
- Objectivity - You can trust that the Kindred Readers reviews are objective because each review is assigned. At Kindred Readers, you won't find reviews volunteered by the author's best friend. We believe readers should offer their honest opinions on the books they read so other readers can make better decisions about whether to read or purchase that book.
- Respect - It's important to remember that, even though your review may be anonymous, there's a human at the other end reading it. Our Member Guidelines stress the importance of being candid AND civil. Likewise, in every decision we make, we consider the people at the other end: Is this the way we'd like to be treated?